Monday, October 5, 2009

Day 150 - 2 Days Remaining?

(Originally written on Thursday, October 1)

The question mark is there because, put simply, I may try to get all the way to Canada tomorrow. It is about 25 miles to the border and another 8 to Manning Park. I would prefer to stick with the original plan of 20 miles tomorrow and the rest the following day, but the weather just is not cooperating tonight. It didn't really start until the very end of the day, either. We even got just enough sun to dry out our gear around lunchtime. That was definitely a bonus because I don't think any of us was expecting to see the sun before we got to the end of the trail.

Anyway, now I'm faced with a decision. Do I pack up and hit the trail early and go hard all day and finish tomorrow? Or do I take it a bit slower and get in on Saturday? If I had any idea at all of what the weather was going to look like, then it would be an easier decision. As bad as the weather was today, it could have certainly been worse! In fact, we were very fortunate. Fortunate that we were above the snow level so we got snow instead of rain and could therefore stay dryer. And fortunate because the ground temperature wasn't so cold that the snow was sticking. Now that story has changed a bit tonight as I can hear little pieces of ice hit my tent. And when I peeked outside my tent a minute ago, the snow was definitely accumulating on the ground. Now is when I really wish I had some good winter boots. I expect this to be the coldest night on the trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment