Thursday, April 30, 2009

Cinco de Mayo!

So it looks like I'll be celebrating Cinco de Mayo 2009 as close to Mexico as you can be without actually being there.  After hoping for a May 4 departure date from the PCT trailhead in Campo, California, I'll be leaving now on Tuesday, May 5.  The reason for the change is so that I can get a California Campfire Permit on Monday, the first business day that I'll be in California.  That way I'll be able to cook for myself and not get in trouble for doi
 
This actually is going to work out great because getting a ride to the trailhead on Monday was going to be problematic, but not for Tuesday.  (Thanks Maloney!)  So now I'll have two days in San Diego to do all my last-minute gear checks, which will be nice. 
 
In other news, we've raised $3,724.96 so far, which will get me 372 miles up the trail which is right around Wrightwood, California, just northwest of Interstate 15.  If everything goes as planned, it should take me about 21 days of hiking to get to this point.  Y'all have been awesome to spread the word like you've been doing.  I've been getting donations and words of support from some unlikely places and it is great!
 
In still other news, I had an interview with my local paper today and that story should run soon...perhaps coinciding with my Tuesday departure.  For all of you not in the Mid-Willamette Valley, you'll be able to see it at http://www.democratherald.com/ whenever it is published.  I'll try to get it posted on my website, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment