Friday, May 1, 2009

Fundraising Letter

I've just started sending out the first of my fundraising appeals via email and the body of what I sent out is included below.  I'm limited in the number of addresses I can include per email so my apologies if you think you were overlooked...most likely I just haven't gotten to you yet! :)  Please feel free to share with whomever you'd like.  Thanks! - RJK
 



Hey Everybody –

 

Yes, you read that correctly.  I am attempting a thru-hike of the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) from May 5 – September 21.  The PCT stretches from the U.S.-Mexico border in the south to Manning Park, British Columbia in the north, going through California, Oregon, and Washington along the way.  I'll even summit the highest point in the continental United States when I get to the top of Mt. Whitney in the Sierra Nevada of California.  It's 14,491 feet, in case you were wondering.  You'll be able to track my progress at my website, www.hikeforhope2009.com, where I'll provide updates whenever technology permits. 

 

Why in the world would I do something like this?  Because I can.

 

It wasn't very long ago that I didn't even have the option of doing this.  Four years ago I was in the midst of an unexpected battle with cancer.  Thankfully it was never a life-threatening condition, yet it did require substantial changes to what many of us would consider a normal life.  It meant that words like surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy became commonly used.  It meant that fatigue was not something to be fought through, but listened to.  It meant that I had to learn to rely on the generosity of others.  It meant that the most painful part of my day was drinking a red bottle of Boost or swallowing a bite of mashed potatoes. 

 

Many of you know what I'm talking about, either directly or indirectly.  It seems like every week I hear of another person – a friend of a friend, or a friend of my parents, or a relative – who has been diagnosed with some type of cancer or another.  Yet with increasing frequency, those fighting cancer are coming out on top.  Of course not every battle is won, and so there is still work that remains to be done. 

 

That is why for every mile that I hike this summer, I'm hoping to raise $10 for the benefit of the Lance Armstrong Foundation (LAF).  It is hard to be unaware of Lance's story and success in the face of formidable odds—both on the bike and in the hospital bed.  Arguably there has been no bigger advocate of cancer awareness, treatment, and prevention than Lance Armstrong, as he has used his platform to help improve the odds and quality of life of all those who battle the disease and embrace survivorship.

 

This is not a standard fundraising letter where I just ask for money.  Of course there is that, but in the current time of economic uncertainty, I understand if you are unable to contribute in that way.  That's why I am asking for your help in as many as three ways:

  1. Financial Support – Maybe you can support me for one mile, maybe 100.  No matter how much you are able to contribute, just know that every penny goes toward supporting the LAF and is tax-deductible too!
  2. Spread the Word – Many hands make light work.  1000 people giving a penny per mile ($26.58 for the entire trail) is $10 per mile.  Currently I have 372 miles worth of fully-funded trail, or $3,724.96.  In less than a month, I'm 14% of the way to my goal before sending out one fundraising email.  My support base has been active and it is increasing each day but there is no way I can get to $10 per mile without your help to spread the word about my effort.
  3. Support Along the Trail – There will be lots of dust, dirt, sweat, and insect bites along the way.  I'm going to be dirty and smell pretty awesome after about the first day.  At several points I will need to shower off my trail stench and do laundry.  If you, your friends, or your family are close to the trail and are willing and able to help out a temporary vagabond, I'd be most appreciative, as would the people that I'll run into along the way!

 

No matter how you help, I'm grateful for any and all support you choose to give.  So please check out www.hikeforhope2009.com, bookmark it, tell your friends and family, and check back often throughout the summer.  I hope to make the trail as entertaining for you as it will be demanding for me. 

 

Cheers!

 

Ryan J. Krabill



Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync. Check it out.

Rediscover Hotmail®: Get quick friend updates right in your inbox. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment