Sunday, August 16, 2009

Day 102

(Originally written Friday, August 14)

This has got to be some kind of record. I am in bed and writing my trail update for the day--the last thing I do before going to sleep--and it is not even 9 pm or dark yet. The terrain continues to be steep with the trail scaling the side of each successive mountain. This means that good campsites are few and far between. In circumstances like this, if you push on when for another half hour for the next good site, you could end up getting a whole lot more trail than you bargained for and hiking by headlamp. Not fun. So the sun was getting low and I came across a couple of great flat spots on a ridge and I decided to claim one even though I would have liked to get another mile or so in. As it stands, I did about 8 after leaving Etna this afternoon.

Speaking of Etna, it was extremely difficult to leave town today. Not because Etna is such a wonderful place, which it is, but because Mom and Dad were here and they totally went out of their way to hook me up with all the comforts of home. It was incredible and meant a lot to me.

The day began with homemade biscuits and gravy (my favorite) that Mom had packed just for me, then I had a cinnamon roll made by my sister, and a calorie-packed mocha from the corner coffee shop, among other things. Obviously my parents had heard about my legendary appetite and were prepared! There was no way I could eat all the food they brought. After breakfast, I got laundry done and continued the process of picking my pack apart in search of extra weight I could get rid of. My last segment from Dunsmuir to Etna had me carrying far too much food and I didn't want a repeat of that. I had so much food out of Dunsmuir, in fact, that I only had to buy a couple items in Etna! It was ridiculous and my body was feeling it. Anyway, after shaving a couple pounds off my pack, I took another hot shower and ate some more food. It was pretty fantastic. Eventually we headed back to the trail after I caught up on some emails, updated my website as much as I could, made my necessary phone calls, and stopped at the post office.

When we got to the trailhead, I think it was pretty obvious that I didn't want to get back on the PCT. My feet still hurt and the time with Mom and Dad was just so good. Needless to say, it was a tough goodbye, even though I'll see them in about 3 weeks when I'm passing through Oregon. Thanks for everything, Mom and Dad!

Now comes the last few days in California, which I've been looking forward to for literally months! I've got about 48 miles to Seiad Valley, the majority of which I'm hoping to do tomorrow (maybe 30). My goal is to get to Seiad Valley early enough the day after tomorrow (Sunday), that I can get my resupply done that evening and head out first thing on Monday. This is important because one of the most difficult climbs (in both gradient and length) awaits me and it is essential to tackle it early in the morning to avoid the heat. Assuming I am able to do that, then it is a pretty safe bet I'll be in Oregon on Tuesday. If not, then a day later. But at this point in the hike, when other hikers are openly beginning to be concerned about making it to Canada before the snow, every single day matters.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ryan, this is Drake. I finally found your business card between my car seats and have really enjoyed yours posts. Am up to Idyllwild, where I used to live. Can't wait to read about Yosemite, where I worked as a 19 year old and was a baby Christian. Hey, thanks for remembering me. It was nice to see you remembered my name and that you liked my being stoked for you and your journey. My family is praying for you. It is amazing to see how God has been taking care of you, literally, every step of the way in your life. Blessings, Drake

    ReplyDelete