Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Day 112

After yesterday's lack of motivation as I left Lake of the Woods, I had some mileage to make up. I was camped next to Highway 140 and used the noise of the traffic to help get me out of bed. I continued on the alternate route for the entire morning. So instead of doing a pretty much waterless stretch, I ended up with a bunch of lakes and ponds at my disposal. It really is a mystery why they didn't just combine the two trails instead of having a really good one next to a really mediocre one. Oh well, I guess that's why I don't get paid the big bucks!

After about a 30-mile day, I'm camped about 20 miles from Crater Lake at Honeymoon Creek. I'm hoping I'll be able to do the 20 miles in relatively short order so that I can pick up my resupply box at the post office before it closes at 3. I don't know why, but it always seems to work out that I'm racing the post office hours and I hate it. Anyway, it's already past 10 and I've got to get up in a few short hours and do it all over again. Only tomorrow, I have Crater Lake to look forward to!

In other sad news, one of the equestrians on the trail had a very bad accident this past weekend up in Washington. There were only two people attempting the trail on horseback that I am aware of and the thru-hiking family is small anyway so most of us knew this particular woman. The good news is that physically she is fine aside from bumps and bruises, however, her two horses did not survive the fall. The emotional toll of her loss has been substantial as you can probably imagine. However, please keep her and her husband, who was supporting her along the way, in your thoughts and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment