Saturday, August 1, 2009

Day 86 - Belden

The two longest sections of the Pacific Crest Trail--Southern and Central California--are now in the books for me. I rolled into Belden, the end of Central California for northbounders (nobos), at about 6:30 this evening. I'm happy to be here, but the feeling of accomplishment that I had on finishing SoCal isn't quite the same for Central Cal. It's not because I don't appreciate the huge challenges overcome. Instead, I feel like I SHOULD be done with it. Kind of like, "I've done this before and I knew I could do it again"-type thought, if that makes sense. I think another reason why I'm not as excited as before is because the halfway point for the entire trail is only 42 miles away. Now THAT is something that I'm excited for!

I'm just hoping that my body, and feet especially, can handle the pace. Tonight I noticed that I developed and rubbed off without even knowing it, two new blisters. One sizeable one on each heel. I just can't seem to figure out how to make these suckers go away for good! Of course, the fact that I've been putting in heavy mileage may have something to do with it. I'm hoping to still make it to the halfway point on July 31 (42 more miles), but honestly I'm not sure I'll be able to do it without my feet cooperating. Regardless, I'm going to try anyway. I've come too far not to. If I can put in at least 12 miles tomorrow, I should be able to do it.

I had a new experience today: measureable precipitation. I got about six miles away from Belden and walked right into a thunderstorm I had been skirting for the previous five miles. I put the rain cover on my pack but I didn't care if I got wet because A) it was really hot, and B) I was going to be sleeping under a roof at the Braatens' (local trail angels). The raindrops were literally the largest I've ever seen. When they hit a surface, they splattered into a size of a silver dollar. They were also large enough that they looked like hailstones. But I wasn't complaining because it was really hot and it helped cool things down.

Tomorrow it is off to resupply for two more days on the trail to Chester. I may take a day there to celebrate my halfway point but I haven't decided yet for sure. Then in the late afternoon when the oppressive heat has died down, I'll be back on the trail, trying to get my 12 miles in before the final push to halfway. I just wish my fundraising was this far along too!

No comments:

Post a Comment