Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Day 103

(Originally written on Saturday, August 15)

You can file this blog entry under the "Weirdest Encounters on the PCT" folder.

Today was an unremarkable day, until the very end. I was on the trail by 7:15 which was a little later than I had hoped. My plan was to get a big chunk of the miles between me and Seiad Valley taken care of today so that I could get to town and resupply yet tomorrow evening. So once I got going, I was making some good progress, even after making small talk with a few hunters along the way. Bowhunting season for deer opened today. Good thing I'm wearing a bright orange shirt!

The terrain wasn't bad either. There were a couple of steep sections, but nothing like the past few days, which I am thankful for. So as I get to the end of my 28-mile day, I'm planning to camp at Buckhorn Spring. It is the highest point before the trail starts to descend in earnest to Seiad Valley, and it has water. I'm expecting it any second when I come around a corner and startle a herd of goats. Domesticated goats. I thought it so strange that I took a picture before proceeding. A few seconds later, I hear a baby crying. Keep in mind that I am out in the middle of nowhere. The only way out of here is 20 miles on foot. When I come around the next corner, there is a man, a woman holding the crying baby, a dog, and more goats. They were literally goatherders! I didn't know they even existed anymore! The whole situation was bizarre and far from normal that I had a hard time keeping a straight face. They were really nice and offered me some fresh milk. I politely declined, filled my water bottles, and continued down the trail to the next available campsite. Total weirdness.

No comments:

Post a Comment