Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Day 120 - 2000 Miles!

Today was a big day. Not only did I pass the 75% mark at Mile 1997, surpass Mile 2000, and hike with more family members (Mark and Kristin), but I also was greeted at the trailhead at Highway 20 by my parents and the rest of the family! It was a good day.

The terrain started out pretty rough because we were walking through lava fields that were the product of a former Belknap Mountain which blew its top and is now Belknap Crater. It was nothing near the size of former Mt. Mazama (Crater Lake), but still left a pretty sizeable impression on the landscape! Following the lava field, the trail curled around and below Mt. Washington and on to Highway 20. It was near Mt. Washington that I passed the 2000-Mile mark.

We stopped briefly to enjoy the milepost before heading onward. I had a weak cell signal but was able to check messages and discovered that a TV news station out of Bend wanted to meet me at the trailhead. It was nearly 1 pm by the time I left the 2000 mark and I still had seven miles to go before 3, so I was really booking it as much as I could.

I ended up arriving around 2:50 pm and being given a fantastic greeting by my family. Aside from just being able to see them, they also brought me a bunch of my favorite foods--everything from cold Coke to a Burgerville burger to homemade potato salad. It was awesome.

After the interview and the snacking, we hit the road for the two-hour drive back to my parents house in the Willamette Valley for some rest and to resupply. The plan is to be back out on the trail on Thursday. (I can already tell you that it's gonna be tough!) On the way down we stopped at Dairy Queen...yay for calories!

I made a brief yet productive trip to the grocery store tonight and tomorrow I'll have a few more items that I need to pick up so that I can have resupply boxes at the ready for my last month on the trail. (It feels so weird to write that!)

I'm hoping to get all my resupply chores done quickly tomorrow so that I can spend a relaxing time with the family tomorrow night. We'll see how it works out though.

I'll try to get a link up tomorrow for the interview from today.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment