Thursday, September 17, 2009

Day 136

I can hear elk bugling tonight and probably not very far from where I'm camped. I saw a bull earlier today--about two miles after leaving White Pass. Then later in the evening, around 6 pm, I saw a cow with a calf about half her size. It was probably the best look at an elk in the wild that I've ever had because she just stood there. Usually they bolt as soon as you see them. I even had time to get my camera out but the setting was for no flash (to save battery) and all I got was a blurry, brown blob. Then, right before I stopped hiking for the night, I looked down from the ridge I was hiking up to a large pond below and at least eight elk were in the vicinity. It was very cool to see.

So tonight I'm camped at the top of the ridge, literally on the Mt. Rainier National Park border. My legs are in the park and my torso is not. I didn't plan it that way--it just kind of worked out. I'm just glad to be back on the trail after the stop at White Pass. Everyone (except for one person) was really nice but the area was just totally lacking. I'm trying to get to Snoqualmie Pass--100 miles away--in four days to give myself some wiggle room as I get closer to the end. Considering how quickly the days are getting shorter, I'm going to need to be very deliberate on how long I hike each day.

I'm really hoping the weather continues to cooperate tomorrow because then I'll have some really great views of Rainier! Tonight I can kind of see it but it is mostly obscured by trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment