Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Day 129

(Originally written on Thursday, September 10)

Tonight I'm camped right at 500 miles away from the Canadian border. I think back to when I was 1000 miles away--at the beginning of the climb out of Seiad Valley in California--and I think, "All I've got to do is that much again." It alternately feels very recent yet very distant. I try to focus on the recent. Regardless, 500 miles still feels like a lot...maybe because it is.

The terrain in Washington just across the Columbia River was disappointing. Of course, living up to the spectacular views of Eagle Creek was impossible, so I can't be too harsh. It's kind of like driving a Pinto after having a brand-new Porsche--there just isn't any comparison. Nevertheless, the miles need to be hiked, so off I went across the Bridge of the Gods--the connection point for Oregon and Washington at Cascade Locks on the mighty Columbia River and the lowest point on the entire trail. Surprisingly, the bridge has no pedestrian walkway so I just had to stay as close to the side as possible. On the other side, it briefly followed a well-used (and therefore loud) road for a bit before finally heading into the hills. Once removed from the highway, the trail just followed a rather generic path through dried grasses and across a few roads. From what I can gather, it'll be this way for a few miles yet tomorrow.

As boring as the terrain was, however, the weather was beautiful! It was actually hot this afternoon and it felt like I was back in mid-August. I'm definitely not complaining, though. I'll take all the hot or warm days I can get in Washington!

Before getting on the trail this afternoon, Matt and I went into the REI in downtown Portland. I picked up some rain pants and other miscellaneous items before putting them in my bounce bucket and sending them up to White Pass. Hopefully the weather forecast for dry conditions for the next week turns out to be accurate. Otherwise, I'll be really counting down the next 150 miles.

The next three days I'm planning to try for about 25 miles per day. I'd like to get to Trout Lake on Sunday night before the grocery store closes at 8 pm. That way I'll be able to resupply quickly and try to get out the door early and on my way to White Pass. I'm hoping to avoid any unnecessary big mileage days for the remainder of the hike and focusing more on consistent mileage. We'll see how that goes.

Anyway, after a quick scramble in Portland to resupply, I'm definitely wiped out. Huge kudos to Matt and Kristen for their hospitality and shuttle service while I was in town. You guys were awesome and I really appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment