Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Day 28 (June 1)

I had a fitful night of sleep at Grassy Hollow. I'm not sure if it was because I was a little cold or because I didn't have a pillow since I was wearing all clothing I had! So when the alarm went off at 5:30, I turned it off and went to sleep for probably the best 30 minutes of sleep I got the whole night. The bummer of it was the guys I've been hiking with (Rees and Taylor) didn't sleep through their alarm so I started out about 30 minutes behind them.
The approach to Mt Baden-Powell was mostly descent but with a couple of inclines. By the time we got to where the trail began the ascent up the mountain, at Vincent Gap, we were at 6565'. After about two hours of hiking, I reached the summit of 9399' (see previous posts). It was a long haul with some very steep climbs, probably the longest climb of that grade for the entire trip so far, so I felt exhausted and exhilerated at the same time when I got to the summit.

After a mostly easy descent with a couple more tough climbs, we settled in at Little Jimmy Campground (shout out to my boy James Glueck!) at about 3:30 in the afternoon. The climb was difficult enough that we elected to do "short" mileage of about 13 miles today.

Tomorrow it is about 18 miles for me to get to Three Points by 5 pm, where my buddy Ken will pick me up and take me back to Pasadena where I'll shower, do laundry, and resupply. I'll also do a lot of eating! On Tuesday night, In-N-Out...and lots of it! On Wednesday night, Ken's hosting a cookout and I'm SO excited to see some old college friends! But for starters, I'll just be happy to be clean again!

No comments:

Post a Comment