Monday, June 22, 2009

Day 44

My feet are not happy with me again today.  In fact, they are just plain ticked off.  My shoes definitely need to be replaced and I'm getting a new pair at Kennedy Meadows--yet another reason to look forward to getting there!  Hopefully that will take care of my issues.  Right now the bottoms of my feet are feeling pretty tender, which isn't altogether a surprise or abnormal, but it still sucks and I think the worn soles are partly to blame.  More concerning is a blister on my right little toe.  I guess it isn't a blister yet--just a hot spot--but it still hurts a bit.  It didn't even catch my attention until later this evening.
 
As for the hike itself today, I think this was likely my hardest day before Kennedy Meadows.  It seemed like it was uphill most of the way and the climb in the afternoon up to the top of Skinner Peak really took a lot out of me.  Tomorrow it is either downhill or level for the first 10 miles.  I am definitely looking forward to that, but my feet aren't because of the additional pounding they'll take.  The route today, although not a torturous uphill, was just enough to slow me down and make me tired.  It also combined with the newly-returned warm weather to really take it out of me.  But I'm not complaining!  Despite the terrible foggy days when I was singing "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall" to keep my occupied, I'm so lucky to have crossed the Mojave and gotten back up into the mountains during a period of mild temperatures!  But regardless, today's experience was still a hot, dry one.  And there really wasn't any shade to speak of with the exception of a few boulders...no trees though.  Have I mentioned lately that I want to be done with the desert?

No comments:

Post a Comment