Monday, June 22, 2009

Day 43

(Originally written on Tuesday, June 16)
 
Okay, I can say with certainty that today I did not see another soul.  It's weird because I didn't think about it until just now as I'm in bed and writing this.  Today began very slowly.  I was camped on a ridge and the wind was blowing pretty hard, but since I was under the cover of trees it really was harmless.  Nevertheless, I hated the idea of getting up when I was so warm and comfortable in my tent.  I slept in and didn't actually start hiking until about 8:30, which is about the latest time I've started a day on this trip!
 
The terrain for the first half of the day was much like yesterday.  Without character.  I really was unmotivated to continue on thinking that it was going to be like this all the way to Kennedy Meadows.  But after Robin Bird Spring, the shift happened.  (By the way, I heard a very loud BOOM! while I was enjoying lunch at the spring.  I have absolutely no idea what it was, but it sounded like it could have been dynamite or something similar.  It also rained during lunch, which was odd because the clouds didn't look like typical rain clouds.)  The trail went from BLM--Bureau of Land Management, Department of the Interior--to National Forest, and the next 10 miles were beautiful!  I just found myself walking through a valley with little elevation change and great scenery.  It was a hiker's paradise!
 
I ended up logging another nearly 24 miles today, but primarily because the terrain was so hospitable.  I'm not sure I'd have been able to do that much under normal circumstances while sleeping in!  Guess that means I should get up earlier.
 
I ended up camping where the trail crossed Kelso Valley Road because a local trail angel had left a huge water cache there.  I really thought I'd have to end up setting up camp in the dark but I got there with light to spare!

1 comment:

  1. That's pretty cool that's really close to where we saw those fighter jets flying around a few years back!

    ReplyDelete