Thursday, June 4, 2009

R & R in Pasadena

After a wonderful two days off from the trail, it's time to get back on the PCT tomorrow.  The timing couldn't have been better, however.  In the news today were stories about multiple lightning strikes up in the San Bernardinos and in the San Gabriels not far from where I had been.  In the vicinity of where I was picked up from the trail on Tuesday, there were something like 33 lightning strikes and three fires resulting from those lightning strikes.  So as you can imagine, I was very happy to be far removed from the action!  Now it seems the weather has cleared so it's back to work.

Despite being time away from hiking, I've still been staying very busy.  Yesterday I made a trip to REI where I exchanged some equipment and picked up some new gear that I'll need later on.  For example, there have been a few nights where I've been quite cold up in the mountains.  It's only going to get colder in the Sierras and points north so I invested in a liner for my sleeping bag that increases the temperature rating of the bag by 12 degrees.  After the trip to REI, I got back to Ken and Gillian's just in time to clean up a bit and then the guests started showing up for the BBQ.  It was so good to see everyone, some of whom I haven't seen in several years!  (The carne asada was awesome, too, Ken.)

Today was all about getting my resupply boxes put together and off to the Post Office.  I'm really motivated to get to Kennedy Meadows and to put an end to hiking in Southern California--not because I don't like it here, but mainly because of the water and heat issues.  So now I've got a resupply set for Agua Dulce (50 miles from where I am on the PCT), Tehachapi (155 miles), and Kennedy Meadows (just under 300).  My load from Tehachapi to Kennedy Meadows is going to be a substantial one! 

Tomorrow I'm hoping to hit the trail by about 7 a.m. and get a good 15 miles in by the end of the day.  Then another 20 or so the next day, then into Agua Dulce on Sunday for a shower and resupply.  We'll see how it goes though.

Hike On!

3 comments:

  1. Keep it up man. I'm enjoying the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watching that donation thermometer! Only $990 more till balance remaining will be under $20,000. I'm encouraging my friends to make one-time donations of $26.58. Only need 790 of those yet, down from the 2,658 goal. :) You have some very generous donors....and some very interested followers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was awesome to have you at our place for a couple of days. Hope the rest does you well as you continue on!!

    I haven't been able to shake the little bit of eeriness of dropping you off at in the forest this morning. It's just too strange to just drop off a friend to the middle of nowhere and then just drive away as he walks off into the woods...

    ReplyDelete