Thursday, June 11, 2009

Hikertown

So here I am in the middle of the very tip of the Mojave Desert.  I've hiked about 8 miles today when I get to the crossing of Highway 138.  If I go east then I'll end up in Lancaster.  To the west is Interstate 5 a mere 15 miles away. 
 
All of a sudden I come across this fake, little Old West town.  This is Hikertown and the owners have been doing this for about seven years.  It is exactly what I need.  Shade, water, an air-conditioned place to hang out if I want to.  A store about a mile away which I was able to access using a car here.  A microwaveable burrito, pint of chocolate ice cream, and 20 oz Coke later and I'm fat and happy and loving life!  The weather isn't that hot, thankfully, but the wind is abrasive.  I'm resting up and cleaning up, sort of, before heading back out this afternoon/evening.  My plan is to get the bulk of the 20+ hot(ter), waterless miles out of my way during the relative cool of the day, before climbing into the Tehachapi Mountains. 
 
I'll take some pictures of Hikertown and post them before I leave.  It really is a great little place!

1 comment:

  1. An excerpt from A Walk Across America book by Peter Jenkins:

    "'Son, we are proud of what you are doing. You be sure you treat everyone like you've been treated by these fine people and you will continue to find great Americans everywhere you and Cooper walk.' That bit of wisdom would stay with me forever."

    ReplyDelete