Sunday, June 7, 2009

Day 34 - Hiker Heaven

As expected, today was a rather easy day.  I decided that after not-the-best sleep the past two nights, I was going to sleep in this morning if I could.  Turns out, I did!  The weather was perfect for sleeping and so sleep is what I did.  After waking up around 7 a.m., I stayed in my tent for a little while and read some of the book I've got with me entitled Three Weeks With My Brother.  (Thanks James!)  After packing up, I was on the trail by about 9 a.m. with 10 miles to Agua Dulce.  The weather was warmer, but not overbearing at all.  In fact, I'd still get chilled if I stopped hiking. 

I crossed Highway 14 at about noon and quickly entered the Vazquez Rocks area (see photos and posts below).  About a mile after that, I was approaching Agua Dulce and the home of Hiker Heaven--a private residence that caters to PCT thru-hikers.  The owners, the Saufley's, open up their home to thru-hikers to rest up, resupply, and do laundry...all free of charge.  It is wonderful here and I've got fully clean clothes and I've already showered.  There are also a bunch of dogs and horses around, which adds to the peaceful surroundings.  I'll have to get some photos tomorrow so that I can post them to the blog.

I've got a few details that I need to work out before I head out from here, but my next goal and deadline is to get to the Tehachapi Post Office before they close on Saturday at 2 p.m.  It's about 104 miles away, and then about a 10-mile hitch into town.  From there I've got a big trip to Kennedy Meadows--close to 150 miles.  Even though the Tehachapi Mountains are considered to be the most southern portion of the Sierran Chain, most thru-hikers consider Kennedy Meadows to be the end of Southern California and the beginning of the Sierras.  Regardless, it will be a big resupply point for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment