Monday, July 20, 2009

Day 51

(Originally written Wednesday, June 24)

Today was hard, I mean really hard. My back is hurting. The combination of high altitude and a full pack was almost too much. The whole day wasn't, but seemed to be, a climb. Well, I guess I shouldn't say that because I do remember some significant descents. But all I know is that we started at about 9000' then went up to about 10400' before dropping down to 9500' only to go back up 10650' then back down to 9600' and now we're camped at 10500'. Follow all that?

Believe it or not, tomorrow is actually supposed to be easier. We have a low-grade climb for the first 8 miles that will get us up to 11300'. Then a slow descent to about 9500' before coming back up to 10400'. Of course, the next day, Friday, is when we go to the top of Mt Whitney (14491'). That will definitely be a tough one!

The high(er) elevation or the heavy pack separate from each other wouldn't be so bad, but the combination is tough! Everything takes longer. I feel like I put in a high-20's day and I barely squeaked by with 20. But I'm hoping that after a couple days my body will adjust and it won't affect me so much.

In the meantime, the views are amazing. The weather the past few days has been perfect and it is supposed to stay this way for several more days (knock on wood). A clear day on the top of Mt Whitney would be so rewarding.

Okay, I'm signing off so that I can get some sleep!

PS - I'm bummed I didn't get to see the new Transformers movie that came out today!

No comments:

Post a Comment