Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Day 69

(Originally written on Sunday, July 12)

I was able to salvage what looked like was going to be a day of minimal mileage. After yesterday's big mileage, I knew that I was going to feel it. First though, I allowed myself to sleep in. I wasn't on the trail until 9:30, but I wasn't feeling too stressed about getting big miles either. I wanted to get around 20 just so I felt like I had a good day. In the morning, however, my legs and lungs just weren't cooperating and I was laboring for everything. Eventually I did make it about 9 miles before stopping for a late lunch. Then, in the afternoon, I felt great! The miles were flying by and I was making great time. So by the time I quit for the day, I had put in another 22 miles. That's 79 miles in three days! The afternoon terrain was awesome...some steep ups and downs, but mostly just medium-grade inclines and declines. One thing worth noting is that I'll no longer be above 10,000' on the PCT after today. When I left that altitude this morning, it was the last time going northbound. It was fun while it lasted, but I'm not going to miss it!

No comments:

Post a Comment