Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Day 59

(Originally written on Thursday, July 2)

I woke up this morning to other hikers passing me as I slept in. It didn't bother me though because I was in no rush to get to my destination. I was only doing a 17-mile day to Edison Lake where I'd catch the ferry the next morning (Friday) at 9:45 into Vermilion Valley Resort.

So here I am cowboy camping with three other PCT thru hikers on a beach by the ferry landing at Edison Lake. The moon is definitely bright tonight but I'm tired enough I don't think it will affect me. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow because I'll be able to shower and do laundry after doing neither for the past 10 days or so. (Side note: I had no idea until tonight that Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett had both died.) I'll also be stuffing myself with as much food as possible before heading out on Saturday (that's the plan anyway). So I'm heading to bed tonight very proud of myself, doing what not many people try to do--hike from Kennedy Meadows to VVR without getting off the trail to resupply. That is a distance of 175 miles and that doesn't include a side trip to the summit of Mt. Whitney! During the next section to Tuolumne Meadows, my pack should be much lighter because I'll only be carrying 3-4 days worth of food.

One other thing to mention is that my feet are hurting again. Nothing major, but I've got a couple of obstinate blisters (one on each heel) that just won't go away. It's getting a bit frustrating especially because I never seem to be able to dry them out properly because my shoes are always wet from all the creek and river crossings. I think we've got all the major ones out of the way though after today's crossing of Bear Creek.

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment