Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Day 63

(Originally written Monday, June 6)

Reds Meadow was much too difficult to leave, especially after having the french toast at the cafe. It was so good. Nevertheless, I was on the trail by 10:30. Since it was 35 miles to Tuolumne Meadows--more than one day of hiking but less than two--I really wasn't all that motivated to get an early start. I was chatting with a couple other hikers in the cafe and during the course of conversation my goal of getting to Tuolumne Meadows came up. A John Muir Trail (JMT) hiker expressed skepticism that I'd be able to make it. Silly section hiker! I've only got about 15 miles to go after today.

The hike itself wasn't all that interesting. More or less a couple of straight lines through a couple canyons. But I did get to see the Devil's Postpile, an interesting volcanic rock structure, early in the hike. I also got to hike part of the Ansel Adams Wilderness, which is where I am now. Around 1 pm I bumped into a pleasant group of families who were backpacking with their kids and they were so friendly! They offered me bagels, peanut butter, and honey...score! They were interested to hear about my hike. In fact, the Sierras have been full of southbound hikers who have been interested in my hike. Seeing the look on their face when I say "Canada" in response to their question of "Where are you headed?" is priceless!

So tonight I'm camped at Island Pass--so named for Thousand Island Lake below it. The weather is cold and windy but I'm cozy in my sleeping bag and tent. This may very well be the last time I camp above 10,000'. And when I go up and over Donohue Pass tomorrow, it will be the last time I'm above 11,000' while on the PCT. It hardly seems possible.

Two more quick notes. The first is that my hike was the feature item in the Livestrong grassroots fundraising letter that went out over email on June 24. Second, the Tour de France is currently going on. Don't forget to root for Lance!

1 comment:

  1. Be nice to section hikers. By some definitions, you are a section hiker till you cross the Canadian border! We will be section hiking from Shelter Cove, OR to just over the Washington border in Aug. We might cross paths. Look for backpack45 & timecheck in the registers.

    ReplyDelete