Thursday, July 23, 2009

Day 80

For the first time on the trail, I'm not sure what I should do.

Today was my first full day back on the trail and it was extremely disappointing. For starters, I was planning to hammer out 25 miles. With a few days of rest and updated gear, I figured it wouldn't be too difficult. Everything started out okay, but around lunchtime things deteriorated. After I finished eating and was back on the trail, I started to feel the early signs of a blister on the ball of my right foot. This is very worrisome to me. After 1150 miles, I should be past this stuff. Then, about 13 miles into my day, I elected to go through a small snowfield instead of around it. After making it nearly all the way across, I slipped and shot down the slope about 10 feet into a nice, big mud puddle. Awesome. My entire right side was covered in mud. My clothing is synthetic so it didn't absorb any of it, but it was still a mess. There was no water nearby (the mud was from snowmelt) so I just kept hiking and eventually made it to Donner Pass (near I-80). There is a Trail Angel here named Bill so I decided to give him a call and see if I could clean myself up. He was very accommodating and so that is where I am now. That's the good news. The bad news is that I still have what could be the beginning of some serious foot issues. I may go back down to Reno tomorrow to see if I can't get better shoes or insoles. The alternative is I try to tough it out and risk long-term injury. I just don't know what to do.

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to miss your call this afternoon, Ryan. Will pray that the blister heals quickly.
    Love, Mom

    PRAYERS:
    From the book PRAYING GOD'S WORD FOR MY SON, under the subject "Troubles", this:
    Lord, Your word says that You will allow no more troubles than [Ryan] can bear. Today, even now, I pray Your word to overcome any troubles [Ryan] may have. Please honor Your words as my prayers and take care of and strengthen him. It is in the authority of the name of Jesus that I pray.".....and......1) I pray, God, that [Ryan] does not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. (Matt. 6:34);....2) I pray that [Ryan] will be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, will let his requests be made known to You, God, and that Your peace, which surpasses all understanding, will guard his heart and mind through Christ Jesus. (Phil. 4:6-7)....3)I pray that [Ryan] will come boldly to the throne of grace, that he may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need. (Heb. 4:16)....4) I pray that though [Ryan] is hard pressed on every side, he is not crushed; he is perplexed, but not in despair;...struck down, but not destroyed. (II Cor. 4:8-9);....and 5) I pray that though [Ryan] walks in the midst of trouble, You, God, will revive him..(Psalm 138:7).

    Thank you for watching over him, Lord, and thank you for Your faithfulness to keep Your Word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say take care of the foot issues, Ryan. Hiking without feet is rather impossible...

    By the way, at this point it's July 31. What did you end up doing?

    Helen Eby

    ReplyDelete