Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Day 56

(Originally written Monday, June 29)

Today was another VERY tough day. We knocked out 20.1 miles in the High Sierra while crossing Pinchot and Mather Passes--both over 12,000'. In fact, Mather Pass was the last point on the PCT that is over 12,000'. Tomorrow we've got Muir Pass, and that is going to be another tough climb even though it isn't as high as today's were.

Mather Pass was especially tough with a bunch of snow remaining from winter. In some cases, we had to just go straight up the mountain instead of using the switchbacks because you just could not see the trail. During the descent, some of the areas were steep enough and had enough snow that we just slid down the mountain on our butts. A practice called glissading (I probably spelled that wrong).

One highlight of today was eating lunch on the bank of Marjorie Lake. The water was so clear because it was basically pure snowmelt. I couldn't help but think how lucky I was to be there while seeing the towering peaks reflected on the water's surface.

Anyway, I'm about 30 miles from being half done with California and that is hard to believe! But what I'm really looking forward to is a nice hot shower when I get to Mile 877. That's when I have my first day off the trail since Kennedy Meadows, about 175 miles earlier. I'll be going to Vermilion Valley Resort, where they give PCT thru-hikers the first night lodging free. In addition to getting myself cleaned up, I'll also get a few days worth of food to get me to Tuolumne Meadows, where I'm planning to take at least one day off. Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment