Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Days 66 and 67

Details from these days are sketchy because a mishap that occurred on the trail late in the day on Thursday, July 9, prevented me from documenting the days. I was crossing a creek, which is a common practice on the trail, and hopping from one rock to the next. I made it all the way across to the last questionable rock and when I stepped on it, it wobbled. I slipped, thought I regained my balance, and just kept going down. The creek wasn't very deep yet somehow 3/4 of me and my gear got wet. It was the capstone to a very frustrating day--the first day that I really didn't want to be on the trail, in fact.

I ended up making camp right there in Matterhorn Canyon after only doing 12 miles. The rest of the afternoon was spent drying out my gear. Things became even more complicated when I left my already-falling-apart shoes too close to the fire and the side of one melted slightly. This made my shoe fit tighter and over time created even more foot pain for me until I arrived in South Lake Tahoe just over a week later.

The next day was uneventful, thankfully. It was a 26-mile-day because I was trying to make up time. It was also a very rugged day, going up and down four separate minor passes that were all quite steep. There were also a few creek crossings which I'm happy to report did not cause me any more issues of an unexpected nature!

No comments:

Post a Comment