Sunday, May 24, 2009

Day 18

Today my spirits were at the lowest point they've been since I started this hike. I think it may have had something to do with the sweltering heat and me looking at a sign that said something to the effect of: Canada - 2,441 miles.

Here I've been busting my butt for nearly three weeks and I have hardly made a dent!

Anyway, I loaded up my pack and left the trout farm now owned by the Wildlands Conservancy at about 4 pm. A special thanks to Jack for letting me charge my blackberry while I was there. Muchas gracias.

Thankfully, the breeze was still stiff enough to take away some of the latent desert heat so I didn't broil any more than was necessary. After about 4 hours of hiking, I came across a creek that I was hoping to camp beside. Turns out another couple and their dog had the same idea. Not long after I got there three others who I had passed arrived as well, making six of us on the bank of the creek. Any more and we'd need our own zip code! But the company is good. I enjoy my time of solitude usually, but sometimes being out there all by yourself against the elements is a little disheartening. So the comradery is good and much needed at this particular point.

Tomorrow is a big day of elevation gain. About 5000 feet in 14 miles to be precise--a nice easygoing grade. More importantly, each step helps get me away from this stifling desert heat, which I'm very happy about!

1 comment:

  1. Daily, Ryan, as you know I select topics from a book entitled "Praying God's Will for My Son", based on what I know or suspect you might be needing in the way of encouragement along this long and challenging trail. These topics are prayers formed from scripture verses and I try to keep a record of which topics are prayed on which day. Today: "Attitude" and "Lonely".
    Hmmmmm. God is with you, Son, just as He promises.
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete