Monday, May 25, 2009

Day 21 - 10% Done!

Today was an easy day.  I got up at about 6 a.m. and hit the trail by 7.  I had about 6.5 miles to go before I got to Van Dusen Canyon Road where I was hoping to hitch a ride into Big Bear where I would hang out for a bit and resupply.  I got to the road at 10 a.m. and to my dismay found out that the road was dirt.  I walked for about a mile or so before the first car came by.  A packed Chevy midsize truck with five people in the cab and the back full of stuff.  They stopped and I hopped in the back of the truck after being promised that I wouldn't break anything.  Luckily the spot that I picked was a big blanket or sleeping bag stuffed in a black plastic bag so my ride was great!
 
I got dropped off about 2.5 miles away from where I needed to go and walked the rest of the way.  I made a quick stop at K-Mart to pick up a few minor supplies and toiletries and then off I was to the Big Bear Hostel by about noon or so.  The accommodations are great.  I'm sharing a room with a few other hikers who I've met along the way.  The owner of the hostel, Grayson, is the same guy that supplied the recliner and fresh fruit the day before so it was good to see him and be able to thank him personally.  He also stepped up and gave me free lodging for tonight as his contribution, which I appreciated a bunch!
 
Anyway, tomorrow I'm taking the day to resupply and plot my next section--from Big Bear to Three Points--a distance of nearly 140 miles.  I'm hoping to meet up with my old college buddy Ken and/or his parents when I get there for another day or two.  But I'm getting ahead of myself...
 
...Something worth mentioning, in fact highlighting, today is that I have now officially reached the 10% mark for my trip on the PCT!  I'm pretty happy about the fact that I've made it to this point, but I'm a little surprised with how long it took for me to get to this point.  I'm definitely hoping that the next 10% happens a little quicker than three weeks like this one did!
 
By comparison, my fundraising level is at about 20% and I just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone who has helped get me to this point.  Hopefully I don't catch up to my fundraising number! :)

2 comments:

  1. Congrats! You are truly an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ryan - Just checking in on you! I'm very proud of you an know that YOU are making a difference.

    Kim Taylor

    ReplyDelete