Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Camp at 8,486'

Tuesday afternoon, I wrapped things up in Idyllwild and headed back to the trail, still frustrated about my lost bounce box. I got a ride from a local named David the four miles back to the Devil's Slide Trailhead. On Sunday, going downhill, the only thing I could think about was how tough a climb it would be on my way back up. But after a nice 1.5 day recovery, my legs were feeling great and the trail wasn't nearly as diabolical as I was expecting! I made it back to Saddle Junction and beyond and made camp before it got completely dark (before 9 pm). It's a bit windy up here but hopefully it stays under control. Tomorrow morning I'm planning to head to the summit of Mt San Jacinto at about 10,800'. I figure it will be good training for my later attempt of Mt Whitney. Assuming I make it to the top, then I'll continue on the PCT toward San Gorgonio Pass, which at 1,188' is the lowest point on the trail until I cross the Columbia River on the Oregon-Washington border. Then, it will be on to Big Bear City in the San Bernadino Mtns by Saturday night hopefully.

Hike On!

No comments:

Post a Comment