Thursday, May 28, 2009

Day 23 (May 27)

After about two days of cleaning up, doing laundry, resting, eating, and resupplying, I decided I needed to hit the road again. With much heavier packs due to the food, Billy (another hiker) and I headed out at about 4 pm with a goal of getting 10 miles in before sundown. There was a good campsite there so it ended up working out well. Our tents were up and ready for bed before twilight had passed. Tomorrow we are hoping to make it 22 miles and camp near a hot springs along the trail. It'll be great...almost like an extra shower!

My knees are definitely tired tonight though. I'm hoping it is nothing except the added weight of food for the longest continuous hike without resupply for me (about 130 miles). But I'll have to keep an eye on them. Another reason to try to get to the hot springs!

This stretch is definitely going to be a hot one. We are at 6500' now but we'll lose about 3000' of that tomorrow and by Saturday noon I'm planning to be at Cajon Pass (Interstate 15). From there, it's a climb up into the San Gabriels along the San Andreas Fault before leveling off. On Tuesday, I'm hoping to make it to Three Points in the afternoon where I'll be picked up by my old college buddy Ken who lives in Pasadena. After cleaning up and resupplying there on Tuesday night and Wednesday, Ken is planning a cookout for Wednesday evening which should give me an opportunity to catch up with some old college friends. I'm pretty excited about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment