Monday, May 18, 2009

Two Week Update

In some ways, it feels like I've been on the trail for much longer than 2 weeks.  And yet, I can't believe it's already been two weeks.  Just a few days ago it feels as if I was trudging up and out of Hauser Canyon, just trying to make it to Morena Lake for my first night's camp.  Yet that was 160 miles, at least a dozen blisters, three lost toenails, 30,000+ feet of total ascent, two pairs of shoes, and at least five rolls of duct tape ago.  I've had days of hiking that I've felt relatively good and hiked 27 miles.  I've also had days where I covered only five days and that were so full of pain that I didn't even know if I'd make it this far!
 
Tonight I'm staying in Idyllwild, California--180.2 miles from the start.  It is the second night here for a planned recovery.  I'm here a few days after originally planned, but right now I'm just happy to be here after sweating it out in the desert for days.  In the next couple of days I'll be back in the desert for more hot work and then on to Big Bear City where I'll take another slow day.  My departure from here depends on the arrival of my "bounce box" from Warner Springs.  I mailed it from there when I was there on Thursday and it still hadn't arrived to Idyllwild today, which was a disappointment because I was planning to leave first thing tomorrow.  Perhaps this just means I should take another day here, but I'd like to get going.
 
I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting on the trail, but so far I'd say it has been harder than I thought it would be.  That's not to say that I haven't enjoyed it, but it has definitely not been without pain either.  All along I've said that if I can make it to the 500-mile mark, I'd be able to make it the whole way.  We'll see if that proves to be true.  What I do know is that this particular section in Southern California is tough, very tough, even by PCT veteran standards.  This is where the hiker works out the kinks, trying to get the lightest pack possible while hauling just enough water to make it to the next water source.  Throughout this whole section the body is adapting to walking absurdly long stretches.
 
There have been a number of stories that I'd like to share with you, but I have time constraints at this particular computer at the coffee shop that I'm in.  (It automatically kicks me off after 30 minutes.)  I've been jotting down notes when I can, although it is rare since oftentimes I'm too exhausted to do much of anything after making camp.  In fact, during my first week, I fell asleep with a can of soup in one hand and a can opener in another!  But what I have been doing regularly is making digital video recordings at various points along the trail, trying to document everything from tough climbs, to messed up feet, to encounters with rattlesnakes.  If I had the ability, I would post this stuff to YouTube so that y'all could watch.  Perhaps I'll get around to it later in the summer, but for now I'm just happy when I have wireless email access!
 
So anyway, thanks for the continued support from everyone.  It has been remarkable.  And throughout the ups and downs of this first two week stretch, I've never really considered quitting.  I've been inspired by contacts from strangers, friends, and family alike, encouraging me along the way.  Some folks who have contacted me are currently going through their own battles with cancer, and it reminds me of what it was like for me a few years ago when this hike was the farthest thing from my mind.  Others who keep encouraging me are those who have been supportive of me from the beginning of my own battle with cancer. 
 
So thanks to you all.  I've got another 2,478 miles to go and about $21,000 more to raise, but with all of you out there supporting me and continuing to spread the word, I know we can get it done.
 
Gotta log off, I'll provide more updates as often as I can.  Hope you enjoyed the flurry of them today!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad to hear from you! We've been getting the updated bits & pieces from Mom when you call her, but I'm really glad to hear directly from you. Wow, you sure posted a lot today! Take care bro - should we plan the third weekend in Aug for meeting up in Oregon? (That's a serious question by the way!) :)

    ReplyDelete