Thursday, May 7, 2009

Day 3, or Stairway to Heaven!

I almost made it to Mt Laguna tonight, but just ran out of gas (and daylight) about 1 hour away. I found a somewhat secluded meadow bordering private property to make camp and it is beautiful! The moon is nearly full so it casts shadows everywhere. And it is so quiet that you can literally here the buzzing of mosquitos outside my tent trying to get in. It is another cloudless night which means tons of stars even with the moon. Another really great thing is that I'm at about 5500 feet so it's not the usual dusty climate of SoCal.

Started out very early this morning and made it about 6 miles before noon. With the heat being so oppressive I stopped at Cibbets Flat campground. The same on that was being used as a staging area for the Marine helicopter that crashed two nights ago. A sizeable chunk of the PCT was still closed so they rerouted us down a road which made the hike even hotter. Anyway, I stopped at Cibbets Flat for a while and soaked my blistered feet in what I think may be the only stream with water in SoCal! It was great.

At about 4:30 I got my gear together and headed back out to the road (not the trail, which was still closed there). I had a quick climb, according to the campground host, and then it would level off. About 7 miles later, it did. The grade of the climb wasn't as bad as the length! Every time I turned a corner, it just continued to stretch up and up.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to sleep in and then make it to Mt Laguna to get rid of my extra pack weight...that will be awesome!

Another $130 for LAF today!

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your post today, Ryan. Really glad for the update. Last Sunday, Kristin mentioned hearing someone say they've concluded life is more like a railroad than a hilltop/valley journey...more like tracks of difficulty and and good things to be thankful for running parallel to each other. I can see that in your post...while it still includes those mountaintops and valleys. :) Enjoy Mount Laguna respite!

    ReplyDelete